Art does not necessarily have to be a painting, drawing, sculpture, or any form of class work/musical creation. Art is the way someone performs something creative and distinct. It is not something you must always be able to sell, hang in a museum, or stand on stage for. Art can be a sport, a talent, a hobby you are good at, or even something you create in your imagination.
My most wonderful art was gymnastics. Not just gymnastics in general, but my routines. I was a very shy when I was younger (yes, hard to believe), so I would not always compete. Somehow, my mom got me away from that. Yet, I was still required to do my routines and participate in in house meets. My coaches would always see me very distracted doing all my own stuff while they would be giving instructions or demonstrating what to do. I would be in the back creating and just doing whatever gymnastics and dance moves I felt like. Eventually, they decided to have me make a routine, along with the rest of the kids to get new ideas. This was my art. I could not in a million years make up a dance routine, but gymnastics, give me a spring floor and I was set. The things I pictured I wanted to do that I couldn't on floor, I would quickly run to the slim, black tumble track and do that tumbling on there. Front tuck step out round off back handspring back layout. Then, run back to the floor and continue my routine. My creativity made gymnastic routines my art. This is my type of art that unfortunately, even if I have the mind set and creativity, I can no longer accomplish due to my fears and lack of courage.
I love when you say art "is not something you must always be able to sell, hang in a museum, or stand on stage for." I totally agree with you on your definition of art as being a creative hobby or something that you like to do.
ReplyDelete